One of the greatest gifts any parent can give their child is an education. It allows them to explore new ideas and concepts, and learn valuable skills that will help them succeed in the workplace and in their future careers. But the rising costs of college and job training programs have deterred some students from pursuing their scholastic interests. As a veteran, your Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits entitle you to educational and training credits that can be transferred to your children.

The GI Bill is a broadly used term to describe any education benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs. These benefits are earned by members of active duty, select Reserve and National Guard units, and their families. These education benefits are meant to help service members and veterans offset the costs of getting an education or training after their service has ended. These benefits can be transferred to the children of service members, and can be used to cover parts of their college or job training school costs. Patriot Angels has helped dozens of Veterans get the VA benefits they have earned. We’re also committed to helping you use your VA benefits to best help your family.

Education Assistance Program

The Education Assistance Program provides funding to dependents of veterans to help offset the costs of degree and job training programs. The EAP is designed to provide financial assistance for up to 45 months of education. This benefit is for children of veterans who are between the ages of 18 and 26 years old. It’s not uncommon for these benefits to cover the costs of a degree or job training program.


To ensure the easy transfer of your GI Bill benefits to your children and dependants, your family members must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System, or DEERS. The ability to transfer benefits is open to any member of the military who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and has:

  • At least six years of service in the armed forces as either active duty or Selected Reserve on the date of approval of transfer and agrees to another four years of service
  • At least 10 years in the armed forces on the date of approval, or is precluded from agreeing to four additional years of service and has agreed to serve the maximum amount of time allowed
  • The request to transfer benefits is processed while the member is still in service



To begin the transfer process, current serving members can use the Transfer of Education Benefits (or TEB) website. At this website, members can create, change and revoke a Transfer of Entitlement (or TOE) request. Members can also provide a future effective date of use for the TOE. This allows the member to select the number of months of training the benefits cover.

Once approved, children and family members can apply to use the transferred benefits through an online application process through the VA website. Children who are the recipient of the transfer can use the benefit while the service member remains in the armed service, or after they have left active duty. Children cannot use these benefits until they have received a secondary school diploma (like high school or equivalent) or until they are 18 or older.

Caring For Veterans And Their Families

Providing your children an education is a great way to invest in their future and care for their present academic needs. By helping to cover their costs and fees, they have a head start on their career path. But as a veteran, you are entitled to your own VA benefits as well. If you need long-term or assisted care to maintain your quality of life, consider applying for the Aid and Assistance Pension. Patriot Angels has been helping veterans navigate the cumbersome VA system and website to ensure they get the help they need. Don’t delay, contact Patriot Angels today.